Saturday, October 25, 2008

To see the beauty... in return...


“Now,” said Hermux to Mirrin. “I want you to lie back and keep your eyes closed.” He removed a spotless white handkerchief from his pocket, unfolded it and dipped it into the water. He refolded it into a compress and placed it over Mirrin´s eyes.
“Keep your eyes closed and hold very still.”
He sat down next to Mirrin and took out his pocket watch.
“What is it, Hermux?” she asked. “What is happening?”
“I´m not sure exactly,” he said. “Let´s wait one more minute. You know, Mirrin, you´ve been very patient with me over the years. You´ve opened my eyes to a lot of new things. Like your paintings and the opera and this idea of trying to be a careful observer of the world. The last few weeks in particular I´ve given a lot of thought to the idea of beauty. I´ve never really taken the time to do that before. And I´ve come to agree with you. I do have a sense of beauty. And I have finally thought of something that I would find very beautiful. Something that I would like to see.”
"What is it? Tell me!”
“It´s this,” said Hermux, checking his watch.
He peeled away his handkerchief from Mirrin´s eyes. And he helped her to her feet.
“Now,” he said hopefully. “Open your eyes.”
And Mirrin did.
She stood motionless for a moment, and then she walked very slowly towards the window without saying a word. She looked out at her garden which she had not seen for three years. She saw the honeysuckle on the gate. She saw the grass that needed cutting. She saw the peonies fallen over from the afternoon rain. And when she turned away from the window she saw her dear friend Hermux standing beside her.
“I can see,” she said simply.
“And that is every bit as beautiful as I imagined,” said Hermux with a smile.

(Michael Hoeye - Time Stops for No Mouse)

I don't know why, but I didn't fancy reading this book at the beginning. I wanted just return it to the library without reading, but something made me do a thing I rarely do. Read the end of it. I read it, it made me cry and long to devour whole book . And I discovered much more there...

No comments: